Today we will flash NOKIA N900 with the latest firmware image. This will provide you more stable build and also you can do experiments with your device by enabling RD mode in it. Following are the steps for flashing your device: ( Before starting to follow these steps, please read the “Important Note” given at the end of this post.)
Step 1: Download the Flasher 3.5 appropriate to your system and install it.
Step 2: Download the latest firmware for your device.
- Click Here to go to the firmware site.
- Enter IMEI number of your N900 device in the field “Product Id”. ( To See IMEI number of your device use *#06# in the dialer).
- Accept the license agreement.
- You will be directed to the firmware download page. Here you can see lot of Images 🙂
- You can download Image based on your preferences. I used RX-51_2009SE_3.2010.02-8_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin which is the “Third Maemo 5 Global release for Nokia N900″.
- Now you have the required image and ready to flash your device.
Step 3: Switch off your mobile.
Step 4: Make sure that neither PC Suite nor Ovi Suite is running on your system. Now connect your mobile with PC using USB cable.
Step 5. Open the terminal. You can see the flaser options using flasher-3.5 –help in the terminal.
Step 6. Remove the battery from the mobile. Now the time has come to execute the flash command, and i assume that you have downloaded the firmware image.
Step 7. Enter the following command:
“sudo flasher-3.5 -F RX-51_2009SE_3.2010.02-8_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R”
Step 8. It will run some steps and then display the message ” waiting for suitable device”. Now insert the battery into the mobile. It will start flashing your device.
Step 9. Don’t disconnect your mobile during this time. After the flashing is done, remove battery, then remove USB from the mobile. Insert Battery and boot your mobile with new Image.
Step 10: Enjoy the latest firmware on your device.You are done. 🙂
- This post is for developers or experienced users only.
- I have tested these steps on my NOKIA N900. Still I recommend that You do experiment at your own risk.
- Your feedback/Comments/Queries are welcome.
- Take the backup of all your contacts and documents from the device.
- Steps given above are tested with Ubuntu 10.o4. You can Also use same steps with other OS.
Share this Post